Friday, July 25, 2008

# 5 (Week 2): Have some Flickr fun and discover some Flickr mashups and 3rd party sites

Like many web 2.0 sites, Flickr has encouraged other people to build their own online applications using images found on the site. Through the use of APIs (application programming interfaces), many people have created third party tools and mashups that use Flickr images.

Here is a sampling of just a few …

Bubblr - create comic strips using photos from Flickr.
Flickr Color Pickr - lets you find public photos in Flickr that match a specific colour.
Retrievr - lets you search for photos on flickr by drawing sketches of them.
Spell with Flickr - generate one picture per letter.


Discovery Exercise (#5):

Explore some of the fun Flickr mashups and 3rd party tools that are out there.

Create a blog post about one that you found interesting. You might want to check out FD ToysTrading Card Maker.

Use your gmail account to email northshorelibraries@gmail.com with a link to your blogpost. Please put Exercise #5 in the subject heading.

So, have fun discovering and exploring some neat little apps.

2 comments:

madmothette said...

Great fun, enjoyed this site alot. Put one of my favourite pictures into a postage stamp style frame and put it as my desktop. Cool

Rose Bud said...

I had some fun with Bubblr. I sent myself a couple of comic strips that I ceated using photos from Flickr. Retrievr is also interesting. I'd love to know what logic is used to bring up the photo's which represent my extremely random drawing sketches. Puzzled!!!!